Which SUVs Should You Buy? A Guide to SUV Buying
Today, SUVs are more popular than ever. You can find these vehicles in an array of styles, sizes and prices — from tiny SUVs to giant-sized 4×4. These cars are loved due to their elevated height, powerful engine, spacious seating and cargo area and off-roading capabilities. But due to the diverse models and sizes, it can be a little difficult to decide which SUV is right for you.
SUVs are different from other body styles because they have a sturdy suspension that is independent of other parts, that as a result provides enhanced handling and better ride comfort.
Usually, SUVs come with the standard front-wheel drive. However, when equipped with an all-wheel drive train system, they can even handle mild off-road conditions. One can also find SUVs with a four-wheel drivetrain system. These vehicles are used to drive in extreme off-road conditions such as rock climbing, going over mud or crossing a deep puddle of water.
To end this confusion, we are going to explore the basic differences between the various sizes of SUVs including:
- Subcompact SUV
- Compact SUV
- Mid-size SUV
- Full-size SUV
Subcompact SUV or crossover is among the fastest going SUVs class. More and more manufacturers are producing these machines due to high customer demand. A good example would be a Honda HR-V or Hyundai Kona.
Having small cargo space, these cars come with a traditional hatch door at the back with a slightly elevated driving position. Subcompact crossovers are also available in all-wheel drive. As these are spacious and stylish, these vehicles are quite popular among couples with toddlers and kids.
- Subcompact SUVs are easy to park and easy to corner
- These are fuel-efficient. The 2020 Honda HR-V offers 30 mpg combined with 28 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on highways
- Typically, you will find that the engines in these cars range from 1 litre to 2 litres with four cylinders
- Luxurious brands such as Audi, Lexus and Mercedes also manufacture subcompact SUVs. However, at the price of a luxurious small crossover, you can get a mid-size SUV of other brands such as Honda Pilot
- You can get a subcompact SUVs by paying less than $20,000. However, you will enter the $20,000 price range as you opt for better features like Android Auto, Apple CarPlay or all-wheel drive train system.
If you want slightly more room than you get in a subcompact SUVs, the next level is compact SUVs. Both compact and subcompact SUVs are called crossovers. Car dealers usually differentiate them by calling small crossover and midsize crossover.
As these are equipped with bigger engines, they take slightly more fuel than a small crossover. However, they are more powerful and can even tow. These have a higher driving position and more flexible cargo space.
- A compact SUV like Honda CR-V comes with a cargo space of 39.2 cubic feet
- Usually, these vehicles have engines sizes ranging from 1.5 litres to 2.5 litres with four-cylinder
- Honda CR-V gives 30 mpg combined with 28 mpg-city and 34 mpg-highway, while the hybrid trims offer 38 mpg-combined with 40 mpg-city and 35 mpg-highway
- These are not suited for extreme off-road conditions like hitting dunes or climbing rugged mountains. However, you can take them to mild off-road conditions
- The price starts at around $20,000 and when you go for higher trims it can cost around $30,000
Considered the ideal family vehicles — mid-size SUVs come with a seating capacity of 7 to 8 people with two or three rows. One of the three rows might be a little cramped and adults may find it difficult to fit in.
- Fuel economy is around 22-25 mpg combined
- The cargo space in a mid-size SUV like Honda Pilot is 16.5 cubic feet
- These are available in both FWD and AWD
- Engine ranges from 2 litres to 3.5 litres with four to six cylinders
- The towing capacity is around 5,000 lbs
- The price starts from around $30,000 and for better trims you would pay $40,000
These are full-size SUVs which are most commonly equipped with a four-wheel drive, a drivetrain system made essential for off-road driving. These are sizable, monstrous and powerful. Full-size SUVs can seat 8-9 passengers and have massive towing capabilities.
In the modern automobile market, these vehicles are less popular due to their incapability of on-road driving.
- Ford Expedition is a good example for this class that can tow up to 900 pounds and gives 17 mpg-city, 24mpg -highway and 20mpg -combined
In the end, it all comes down to your need. Whether you want to drive on roads and highways or want to explore the rugged terrains. Automobile Manufacturers like Honda Saudia Arabia have an array of SUVs in their line-up. The car price in Saudi Arabia is also quite competitive. So, read this article and analyse your requirements carefully to make the right decision.